After I spent a week in Copenhagen again last week, I came to realise that I am pretty much over Copenhagen. This city will always be in my heart, I had great two years there and the most amazing friends who will always welcome me back, but my life is just here in Bavaria. I simply love our nature, our culture, our Gemütlichkeit and our beautiful dialect :-)
One thing is for sure though: I will try to come back to Copenhagen at least once a year!
The first day I was cycling again on the streets of Copenhagen, I felt rather overwhelmed by these masses of people, both cyclists and pedestrians, and I asked myself how I managed to cycle there daily for two years (and without a helmet!!) without ever being caught up in an accident.
One thing that I like about Copenhagen is the vast offer of cafés, bars and restaurants. So I thought that I would write a post about them and introduce you to some of my favourite places.
In this picture, you can see a map of Copenhagen with some spots that I like and want to share with you :-)
1. Blågårdsgade - In this street, you can find many cafés and bars. It is perfect for a nice evening with friends, sitting in front of the cafés in the summer time, chatting over a beer, meeting interesting people from all over the world.
2. Toldboden - This restaurant is located right by the water which means that you have a pretty view over the harbour, the cruise ships and the Opera House. I love the interior and they serve pretty decent fish and chips with mushed peas and veggies.
3. Ruby - Cozy, tiny bit expensive cocktail bar right by the canal. They have a rather fancy looking interior so you feel pretty much like a V.I.P. :-)
4. Din nye ven - Student café for all the hipsters in Copenhagen. The prices are fairly reasonable for this central location.
5. Tire bouchon - If you like wine and France then you have found the perfect address. This French wine bar has a nice selection of wines and a delicious small menu. Perfect summer evening!
6. Kødbyen - The former meatpacking district in Vesterbro is now packed with bars, clubs and restaurants. You can also find Kødbyens fiskebar there, a nice restaurant with lots of yummy food.
7. Mikkeller Bar - This bar is a must for beer lovers. They only serve selected beers from microbreweries from all over the world and of course some sodas and snacks. Mikkeller was also voted best bar in Copenhagen last year. So go and check it out!
8. Luna's Diner - Also called Live, Love, Luna :-) Amazingly tasty food and the best milkshakes I have ever had in my life. You can find one of their diners in Sankt Annæ Gade 5, Christianshavn and the other one in Vesterbrogade 42 in Vesterbro. I somehow always preferred the one in Christianshavn, probably because I lived in the very same street.
9. Serenity Cupcakes - I already wrote a post about this sweet, little café. Mariam, the owner, is such a lovely and talented person and she totally deserves all the success she has had with her café. So it goes without saying that I had a cupcake there again last week ;-)
10. The Wok Shop - Reasonable, tasty Asian food. My favourite dish there is no. 26, the chicken cashew. There are two wok shops in Copenhagen, one in Gammel Kongevej 122 and the other one in Ny Adelgade 6.
I forgot to mention Café Retro which is a non-profit café in Knabrostræde 26. Lovely, international people, cozy interior and good prices. They also have a spare room that you can rent for free for events. I once booked it for a few hours for a clothes-swap-party.
This is it for today. I hope you enjoyed reading about the different places in Copenhagen and maybe even go and check them out. I would love to hear back from anyone who went to one of these places due to my recommendation.